Monday, February 15, 2010

feb walkabout


Sorry my readers. I haven't written in a while. My excuse is because 1) I didn't want to waste my uncles bandwidth ( yet I did waste alot watching How I Met Your Mother online )
2) I wasn't feeling the photo uploading crap because it took so long,
3) I'll admit it, I'm just damn lazy.


So there. I decided that it is time to recap my past 2 weeks for you as I sit quietly in my new dorm room for the first time. I have decidedly chosen moments that stand out to me. I will call this my feb 15 day walkabout.


Journey Number 1: I'm in Canberra.





Put it this way: my melodramatic writing on my last post was a result an emotional overload and sheer amusement. My insides were turning, waiting for a chance to explore the land down under. I felt cooped up in my uncle Edo's house. It's not that I did not appreciate my uncle. On the contrary, Auntie Silvia graciously offered me a room and I had a place to stay. My uncle was more than happy to take me around the area. But I felt I wasn't traveling. I was at Telstra Tower for those pictures. It's a huge telecommunication company in the country and it has this tower at the top of Black Mountain. The view is amazing, but there is nothing more to say about it.




So I decided to write something dramatic to describe an intense version of Canberra. Because Canberra is referred to by some as “CAN-BORING”. It is the equivalent of Washington, minus the classical architecture, Obama, Democrats and Republic showdowns and the Washington shenanigans that carry on everyday. Exchange D.C. for Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, multi-cultural embassy displays, gigantic roundabouts, and a glaring Australian flag atop a white spire building.





It's a small city, “in between” Melbourne (7 hours by car/ 50 minute flight) and Sydney (3 hours by bus). I like Canberra. I sincerely do. It's just small. I'm more of a city girl, but I think this might work for me. If not, it's a chance to work hard in school. But UNI will be amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment